Monday, January 19, 2009

Grammar Mistakes

I learned in a class years ago that when children become aware of grammar rules, they start making grammar mistakes on irregular words. Victor has a few grammar mistakes that make me laugh every time. My favorite is how he pronounced "does." He just puts an /s/ on the end of "do," and ends up with /dooze/.

Comed is another new mistake.

A larger mistake happened the other day when I told him not to do something and instead of saying, "Okay, Mom," he said, "But Daddy dooze it."

"And when you're the dad, you can do it too." I said this in a happy, positive tone of voice. What's the point of being an adult if you can't do anything that was off-limits to you in your childhood? I feel fine about having different rules for parents and children in our house.

Gum chewing? Parents only (but if you've read the minty diaper posts, you know that Victor keeps a stash).

Eating in front of the TV? Parents only. Wait! I mean, we never do that.

Driving the car? Parents only. Or when Jeremy is in charge, with parental supervision only.

Pouring milk? Parents only.

Watching 24? Parents and un-cognizant babies only.

Using markers? Parents only.

Some day I anticipate allowing Victor to pour his own milk and watch 24, but not for a while.

No comments: