Thursday, January 29, 2009

Nursery

When Victor turned 18 months old, he became eligible to attend our church nursery on Sunday. We took him to Nursery, he saw the trucks and the snacks, and in he ran. When church was over, we picked him up.

In the car on the way home, I asked Jeremy how he had enjoyed church that day. He responded with unexpected enthusiasm about all the great lessons he had heard that day and how much he had enjoyed it.

And so our family was hooked on Nursery, the biggest life upgrade of Victor's first 18 months besides sleeping through the night and playing independently with toys.

Victor still loves Nursery. When the Sacrament Meeting speakers go too long, Victor often pipes up with "please stop talking," or "I want my trucks." Both comments are quickly stifled, of course.

I have been interested to see what he learns in Nursery. I can rarely get him to tell me what he learned about on a particular day, but the knowledge pops up during the week. One day I asked him to speak more quietly and he said, "Inside voice!" Yes! Thank you, Nursery. He has also developed a great interest in temples that I am sure is supported by what he learns in Nursery. He is adamant that he will get married in the temple. I did have to explain that he could not marry Grandpa, though.

Best of all is the music he learns. Every so often he'll burst out with a song I didn't know he knew. We sing around the house, but I'm sure he learned I Am a Child of God and most of Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam in Nursery. His current favorite is Child of God, although it's odd to hear him sing it interspersed with truck noises and the ABC song.

So to all of you Nursery leaders out there, Thank you. You're doing a great job. And we're so happy that you'll be adding young Mr. Zeke to your class in five more months.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

oh that's such a good success story!! Only 9 more months until we can hopefully enjoy lessons again.

Torrie and Cassidy said...

We too have been counting down the time until Parker can enter nursery...March 22!

StevenKatie said...

I love that he is so polite when he asks the speaker to stop speaking.

I too am impressed with what Alex seems to just know since starting nursery.

Joan said...

Nursery was really something spectacular in our family, too. I think it's spoiled us because poor Caleb at not even 9 months old is really asking to be put in nursery early. I loved all the songs & "nursery wording" Janiah picked up there. Just wait until Primary!! Holy cow, it's a whole new world.

Jenny said...

I'm always amazed at what they do learn and pick up. Nursery and primary are both great things. Michelle, a few weeks or months after starting nursery, started singing a clean up song around the house (and would clean up toys as she did so!) My kids both took awhile to get used to nursery, but they learned to love it.