Sunday, February 1, 2009

What a difference!

I went to church alone today.

Victor has a fever and a cough. He says he feels "a little sick" and that "I'll feel better soon." He was clearly too sick for church.

(How do you decide when your child is too sick for church? I ask myself if I would want an equally sick child sitting next to my child. If the answer is NO, then no church.)

Because I'm the Primary music person and Jeremy is the Zeke-toting person, I went to church and Jeremy stayed home with both boys.

Here's how it went.

First, when it was time to go, I picked up my things, walked out the door, got into the car, put on my seatbelt, and drove away. There was no diaper bag, no snack bag for Zeke, no two trips, no car seat, no last-minute diaper, no chasing Victor down the street, and no van. It took about 1 minute instead of 8. Also, I wore a nice necklace and a skirt that gets too short when a small person sits on my lap.

Then, when I got to church, I got out of the car and walked inside and sat down. There was no chasing and no near-misses in the parking lot.

During the meeting, I sat still and listened. I sang all of the hymns. I did not get up or move around or trade seats with anyone. No one got a time out. No one pulled my clothing in an embarrassing direction. Did I say that I listened? Yeah--I listened.

Primary was the same as usual, but after it was over, I didn't have to retrieve Victor, find Jeremy to get Zeke, or beg any young person to help me find Victor after he ran off through the building or parking lot.

Then I drove home, got out of the car, and walked inside. Everyone was asleep, so I sat down and read the paper.

It was the strangest Sunday ever.

Did I mention that I listened? Yeah--I listened.

6 comments:

Katrina said...

I think you should post this to a new mom website. Everyone is so giddy for a new little bundle but they have little idea how much it impacts what you do, and how (Slooooooooooooow) you do it. I'm glad you got in a good Sunday. Once every 10 years isn't bad, right?

Jenny said...

you're too funny. I always feel like half (or more) of me is missing if I go to church alone...or even with just one of my kids (which happened the previous two Sundays.) But it does make it faster to get ready and easier to pay attention.

Alana Yeoman said...

That sounds like a wonderful trip to church to me. Victor and Ellary sound a lot alike when it comes to chasing them down and often seeking help in finding them when church is over. Ellary is definitely my FREE SPIRIT child! I would LOVE a Sunday that I could sit in sacrament and listen. Although, I have to admit, I would rather that my kids not get sick, even if it means I am a basket case keeping up with them in church. I hope Victor is feeling better today!

Liz said...

I think it would be nice to have a Sunday when I had an excuse for NOT listening.

Melanie Clark Hilbig said...

Glorious!! In contrast to my church experience, which I spent entirely in the hallway. At one point Audrey was laying flat on her back, spread eagle, in the middle of the hallway -- flower headband strewn to one side, shoes on another, and she was trying to yank her tights off. She'd had it.

Jana said...

Ah, what a lovely day. I too, would feel rather strange. We have had 1 or 2 times when Brian's parents stayed home with the kids and we got to go to church TOGETHER. I had to laugh at Liz's comment--I remember being a young married and not having kids and thinking how nice it would be to have a kid to HAVE to take out in the hall and be able to socialize. Funny how the grass is always greener...