Wednesday, February 4, 2009

You Ride the Bus, Gov. Dukakis!

Today I heard Gov. Dukakis (you remember him from 1988) on the radio. He said we Americans should be embarassed about our public transportation. I have this to say about that:

You ride the bus, Governor!

I cannot imagine the awfulness of doing today's errands if I had to ride the bus.

Come on kids! Bundle up! Let's stand in the freezing cold and wait for the bus. Victor, stay here. Don't run---STOP! That's the street! Hold Mommy's hand. Keep your hand on the stroller. Jump up and down to get warm. Oh look--here's the bus. Wait for me! I'm putting down the stroller and trying not to drop Zeke. Here Zeke--climb into the bus. Don't eat that. Yuck. Good thing I'm not pregnant. Wait! That is not your purse. Don't pet the guide dog. Shoot--I dropped my fare card.

Oh look--we're at Home Depot. Let's get out and put up the stroller and walk up the hill. Keep walking!

Then we'd repeat all of the above--adding our parcels--while we waited for the bus, which may or may not even go to our friends' house to drop off two bags. And then to get Victor's hair cut. And then to the grocery store. And then home with our OJ and roast beef and eggs.

There is no way to do this and live in the suburbs as we know them. Kudos to you urban moms who get it all done in the city!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Agreed! It would be great if our neighborhoods were set up in a way that public transportation or walking were viable options when you've got a pack of kids, but it is more than a little complicated if not completely impractical.