Monday, March 2, 2009

Victor's Snow Adventure

A few minutes ago I heard the front door open. "That's strange," I thought. "I guess I forgot to lock it after I got the paper."

No, I did not forget. Victor, being uncontrollably tempted by the four inches of beautiful snow outside, had found my keys and opened the door. Then he donned Jeremy's old sneakers and went outside to play. When I found him, he had tramped around in the snow and stumbled to the end of our front walkway.

He was wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants and Jeremy's size 14 shoes. Once he was off the curb, he was a goner. Because I am committed to empowering my children, I let Victor navigate his own way back to the front door. He was not happy about this, but he made it. Ditching the shoes was key to his success.

When he got into the house, his little hands and feet were stinging, so I ran a couple of inches of warm water in the tub for him. He cheered right up. But I don't think he'll be venturing out again on a solo snow adventure.

No comments: