Friday, May 8, 2009

Left and Right

Okay. Confession time.

I'm not so good with lefts and rights.

If I am driving a car and you are sitting in the passenger seat and you say, "Go left," chances are, I'll turn right. I usually try and compensate by keeping my left hand in the shape of an "L," but it doesn't always work. When Jeremy gives me directions, he points. When I give him directions, I either tap the window (for "go right") or point (for "go left").

Lately, it occurred to me that I should try extra-hard to get my lefts and rights straight for the sake of my children. I've been making an effort to point out (accurately) right and left.

And I think it's working!

Last week, Victor and I were putting stickers on his playhouse. I said, "Where does this one go?" And he nodded his head to one side and said, "Put it on the right." Sure enough, that's where it belonged.

Then this week, his grandma asked him where McDonald's was as they drove down the road, and he said, before he could see it, "It is on the left." Sure enough, it was on the left.

I therefore declare Victor free of the left-right curse, and brilliant besides.

At least, I hope so. Now, if he can also learn to tell time . . .

2 comments:

StevenKatie said...

Wow!!! It took me until I was in PT school to learn my L and R. I only feel I learned it then because I was forced to.

Yeah, Victor!

Katrina said...

I am directionally challenged as well, a total left/right retard. I hesitate because it always changes!!

If you are going THIS way it's on the right, if you are coming from THAT way, it's on the LEFT. Things don't stay in one spot, so I have to mentally drive there to figure out what side of the L/R continuum it's on. Stupid.

And to think that I grew up this way and still lived to reproduce. I don't force the issue with my kids, and the only way I figure it out is by which hand I write with. I 'bout have to scribble something in the air with my imaginary pen to tell you which direciton.... sad sad sad.