Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Other OC

Today in Relief Society, I told the sisters that I was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Through a staging surgery, we know that although I have a high grade, invasive clear cell cancer, it is in Stage 1. That means it was isolated to one ovary and has not spread throughout the abdominal cavity or to other organs, or invaded the lymphnodes. The prognosis and low recurrence rates are very encouraging.

I will do six rounds of chemotherapy. The first one was last Monday. The others will be every three weeks, provided my blood counts of hemoglobin, white blood cells, and platelets remain high enough to proceed.

Well, now you know almost everything I know. If you're thinking, "Didn't my great-aunt Ethel have ovarian cancer when she was 80?" the answer is probably yes. This is an uncommon cancer in someone my age, especially since I have no biological family history of it.

You can look up ovarian cancer on the internet, but it might freak you out. I don't recommend it.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

You are definitely in my prayers. Elizabeth told me about it a few days ago. I love reading your blog and hearing about your darling little family. I wish that I lived closer so that I could do more than just pray for you! Please let us know how things go. I'll be on the look out for some cute hats.

Katrina said...

Okay, so I clapped my hand over my mouth and called Matthew in - who is horrified. Then we calculated your age. Then we figured that someone so hale and hearty is an excellent chance of beating this. It's not sunshine and lollipops, but it's not a death sentence either.

AND, if you ever wanted hair like mine, I could send you as much as you want for a wig. I'll even include the barrette to sweep up the bangs - cuz its the only hairstyle this hair has ever known. ;D

We love you darling. I wouldn't wish this on you, but we'll link arms, fix bayonettes and have a new excuse to tour Scotland, eh!

Suzanne Lineberry said...

Can I assist in any way? Child care? Dinner? Laundry...and of course I would still let you sort the sock!

Melanie said...

Cyndie! I'm so so sorry. I can't even imagine the stress you're under. If there is anything we can do, from this ridiculous distance, please let me know.

You are certainly in our prayers.

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

Cyndie--Jer gave me the link to your blog, saying you had some announcement. I read some of your past posts before this one came up and I had the thought that it would really be fun to get to know you better this way. And I still think that, so please keep us updated in your posts--on you and your cute boys! We will be thinking of you guys and keep you in our prayers as well. If there is anything long distance we can do, let us know!

Melanie said...

We pray for you and think of you often!

XOXOX

Melanie and Nate.

Jenny said...

I love you Cyndie!

Carrie said...

You amaze me.

elizabeth said...

Your hat is done...I am now making some very fancy flower clips for it (and many....you can't have too many flower clips to change out the look) and then it will be on its way....hopefully by the end of this week. How did the first round go? I am thinking of you.