Monday, September 21, 2009

Treatment SIX

Today is chemo treatment number SIX! Yay Yay Yay!!!

The week before my other treatments have been full of anxiety and worry about the weeks ahead, but this time I only felt excited that we are almost done.

Mel asked me the other day where I go from here. Medically, I get new baseline bloodwork and CT scan, and have follow-up appointments every three months. Emotionally and physically, I don't know what happens next. I start running my own house again, making my own dinner (well, maybe not that, yet), and tending my own children. Many people have offered to help me, and I am being optimistic and proceeding on the belief that I will be able to do it. I was actually at home alone with the boys on Thursday and Friday, and with the help of my friends, things went pretty well. I was surprised that we didn't have any crises.

Would you like to know about chemo? It is administered by IV through a port located two fingers down from my clavicle on the right side. I get all sorts of drugs: nausea drugs, antacid, a massive dose of Benadryl (which is why I can't drive myself home), steroids, and two actual chemo drugs (taxol and carboplatin). It doesn't hurt. I sit in a moderately comfortable recliner in a big room that has seven chemo chairs and one chemo bed. There are privacy curtains between the chairs, but people rarely pull them.

Almost everyone else at chemo is elderly, or at least past retirement age. Also, many people are tall. (I guess Harvard was right about that.) I'm not used to being around women who are taller than I am, and I've encountered several here.

There is a snack bar with chips and cookies and crackers, a water cooler, and a fridge with juice and soda. My chemo-buddy (today it's Aunt Kristin) is in charge of driving out to find lunch.

The nurses here are oncology certified, and are especially personable and kind. The other patients are generally quiet. I am in the room for much longer than most people because my treatment lasts five hours and 20 minutes.

Well, that's chemo.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Good luck!!!!!

Jenny said...

I'm so glad that treatment six is here! Congrats Cyndie. You are so amazing. And I'm glad that the nurses are oncology certified and are kind and helpful. And I"m so glad that you've had family and friends to help you. I wish I were closer and could have done more than just pray. But I have done lots of praying for you! I love you, Cyndie!

Carrie said...

Five hours and twenty minutes? I had no idea.

Six down...zero to go. You rock.