Saturday, October 31, 2009

Costumes

I hate Halloween, but I put on a mostly happy face for the children.

Victor wanted to be a combine harvester this year. Here is what I came up with:




Zeke was a dump truck.


Jeremy took them both trick-or-treating. I think they were gone for twenty five minutes, tops. I stayed home to pass out candy.


Jeremy has something to say: I love Halloween. Halloween is one of the last community events in our culture. When else are you ever going to actually speak to someone who doesn't live within 50 feet of your property line? It is a great opportunity to say hello to people you don't see often, and it gives you a chance to . . . as NPR would say, connect with members of your community. *gag. It's true, though. You walk around, wave, and say thanks for the candy. You meet your neighbors; everyone has fun. I see nothing objectionable about it whatsoever, and I think participation by buying a bag of candy and a pumpkin is not only reasonable, but a civic duty.

9 comments:

Katrina said...

Atta girl! :D Love the combine. I don't think I have EVER seen one before! Well done...

Cathy said...

Cute cute costumes! I'm supremely impressed! I think my opinion of Halloween changes with my mood. Sometimes I think it's super fun, others not so much.

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

A combine?! That is AWESOME!

Jenny said...

Great Costumes!! I have to say though Cyndie that I'm totally with Jeremy on this one. Halloween is fun!!!! And it is a great chance to say hi to neighbors (although here in UT I know lots of people that don't live on my street...my ward is essentially 4 streets wide.
:) We love Halloween...although Alfredo doesn't really love it...he's probably more with you.

Unknown said...

Oh, they are darling. I'm with Jeremy on the true meaning of Halloween in 2009. A way to connect with your community.

StevenKatie said...

Wow, I am impressed with your artistic abilities! Great job!

Liz said...

SO creative, those look awesome.

Jer, you rule.

Jana said...

I love the costumes! Very impressive from someone who hates Halloween. And sorry, I agree with Jeremy, too.

The Cordell Cruiser said...

I second Jeremy! Every since the mission I have realized that disconnect with one another.