Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Experiments

The Easter Bunny didn't make it to our house today. Since Victor has been telling me for weeks that he is (a) too big for the Easter Bunny and (b) a little afraid of the Easter Bunny, nobody minded.

Instead of eating Peeps and chocolate bunnies, we decided to cook the Tur-Duck-Hen that Jeremy's Grandma June sent us for Christmas.

It was very easy to cook (350 for 2 1/2 hours), and the drippings made a delicious gravy. Victor and Zeke ate some, and Victor even ate mashed potatoes for the first time. (Zeke refused.) I'm not certain I would ever purchase another turducken, but if someone sent me one, I would cook it again. But I would remember to cover it with tin foil.

Our big family tradition is the bunny cake. It is usually white, and covered with coconut. Last year I branched out and made a chocolate bunny. This year, I decided to use the leftover neon red frosting from Victor's birthday cake. I figured that it would turn a lovely pink if I mixed in half a recipe of white buttercream. Instead, it turned hot pink.

So we had a hot pink bunny this year with glittery silver whiskers. (Great idea, K!) Zeke called it
"Mom Bunny." Then he scraped frosting off its side with his plate while no one was looking.

1 comment:

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

I love the idea of the bunny cake. My mom always made homemade chocolate dipped marshmallow eggs. We tried those this year. While fun, they were very messy and didn't really look much like eggs. Bunny cake it is!