Monday, May 10, 2010

Camping

Jeremy worked a lot last week, so to help him be ready for the Fathers and Sons Campout on Friday, I went shopping and packed the car.

It was my first time packing for someone else's camping trip, and I made a few errors.

1. I should have packed three sleeping bags, i.e. one for each person, instead of two sleeping bags. I figured that Zeke was too small for a whole sleeping bag, but that turned out to be incorrect.

2. Relying on the bonfire to cook dinner was a mistake. A bonfire is much bigger than a campfire, and is not suited to roasting hot dogs or marshmallows.

3. Jeremy does not care for barbecue-flavored chips. I didn't know that. It's only been eleven years.

4. One package of Hebrew Nationals is not enough for three people. If two hot dogs get dropped in the bonfire and each son eats three hot dogs, there are no more hot dogs for Dad.

5. Generic hot dog buns are always a mistake. I should have known that.

6. Five bagels are not enough. If Dad has no hot dogs and no chips and is left with cookies and marshmallows for dinner, he'll want (reasonably, I think) to eat one of the breakfast bagels.

7. Lanterns are great for INSIDE the tent, but not outside because they attract bugs like crazy. I should have included at least one ordinary flashlight.

2 comments:

Liz said...

This is very strange to me. Did we grow up in the same home? Are you Dale's daughter? Do we share blood?

Rebecca said...

Oh well! Live and learn. I love reading your blog by the way. You always have great stories!