Thursday, May 6, 2010

Victor's Story

Fun mom has been sick. Again. And I'm not so fun when I'm sick and have a sore back.

So today, Victor and I played a new afternoon game (after our obligatory three rounds of Candyland, which I was so desperate to get through that I cheated to let Victor win more quickly).

The game is called Tell a Story, and I got the idea from Einstein Never Used Flash Cards. You play by starting a story and handing off key plot elements to the child. In this case, I provided the structure and Victor provided the specific facts and details. Here is our story:

Once upon a time there was a boy named John Doe. He could do lots of things. He could fly. He could run faster than a speeding train. And he could jump over tall trees.

John Doe had a problem. He didn't have any money to buy food. He wanted to buy some celery, so he asked his mom if he could earn money by helping her bake cookies. She said yes.

First, Mom asked John Doe to get out the eggs. John Doe went to the refrigerator and got the eggs. "Good job, John Doe," said Mom.

Then Mom asked John Doe to get the mixer. John Doe got the mixer and put it on the counter. "Good job, John Doe," said Mom.

Then Mom asked John Doe to get the butter. John Doe got the butter out of the refrigerator. "Good job, John Doe," said Mom.

Then Mom asked John Doe to get the black stuff from the cupboard. John Doe got the vanilla. "Good job, John Doe," said Mom.

Them Mom mixed up the cookies. Last of all, John Doe put in the chocolate chips. Then John Doe got out two cookie sheets and Mom baked the cookies.

"John Doe, you earned your money by working hard," said Mom. And she paid him $3.27.

John Doe went straightaway to the grocery store and bought some celery. He brought it home and put it in the refrigerator.

The moral of the story is that if you work hard you can earn things.

The End

6 comments:

Alisa said...

I can't get past the fact that you don't cheat EVERY TIME you play Candyland.

Cyndie said...

I'm trying to teach him to be a gracious loser.

Cyndie said...

If I win too many times in a row, he just can't stand it. Since there is no strategy involved, I figure there is not point in making him lose too often.

Carrie said...

Oh man. I am trying to make myself love Candyland. I love your and V's story.

Unknown said...

I am such a pro at strategic placement of that frosting lady card when we play Candyland. At least it doesn't drive me as bonkers as Shoots and Ladders. I finally threw that one out. Fun story and I am so sorry about your back! Hopefully it is healing?

Unknown said...

You are very talent,I like your blog.There are many kinds of Discount Fashion Shoesin our online store, all of them are made of excellent materials, and have Classic style.In addition we have Victorias Secret pinkand NFL jerseys.