Friday, February 25, 2011

Customer Service

Customer service is very important to me.

I expect clerks and phone reps to be knowledgeable, courteous, and helpful. I also expect easy returns and flexible policies.

Barnes and Noble flunked my customer service test this week when they refused to let me return a book without a receipt. You see, I had received two copies of the same book as gifts. It was a great book! But I don't need two copies.

Barnes and Noble was unmoved, despite their sticker on the cover and the unopened condition of the book. The woman at the customer service desk actually ordered me, in a very loud voice, to go and ask my friends for the gift receipts. 

Also, I deeply resent the not-so-subtle implication that either I or my friends stole the book and are now returning it for store credit. I felt very uncomfortable and will now purchase books elsewhere.

Dish Network, on the other hand, has excellent customer service. Whenever I have a problem or question about my bill, I use the online chat feature. I love it. The reps always fix my problem quickly and courteously.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

That's ridiculous. I'm always amazed when customer service people are horrible at social interaction and are completely lacking in tact. Interesting. I do agree about dish network. I love their online chat.

Katrina said...

Lessons on how to avoid this: Call ahead. Call first and explain on the phone to the manager in charge. When they give you the okay, get their name, and march up to Ms. Paid-by-the-Hour and say, "Oh, Mitch said that it would be no problem, so turn your snooty hiney around and go get my change sweetheart!"

Forewarned is forearmed...

Carrie said...

I love when they imply that you, or someone you know, stole the merchanidise you are trying to return. That happened to me at Target. Exact words: "well, maybe you didn't pay for it." Classy.