Saturday, August 18, 2012

Down by the Bay

When I was in elementary school, my siblings learned the song "Down by the Bay" at preschool.

You may know this song from Raffi's album, "Singable Songs for the Very Young."

It goes like this:

Down by the bay
Where the watermelons grow
Back to my home
I dare not go

For if I do
My mother would say:
Did you ever see a [bear]
[Combing his hair]

Down by the bay!

Obviously, you fill in your own words for the ones in brackets.

Zeke has really taken to this song. His most interesting lyric this week was:

Did you ever see a destructive meteor
Killing a meat-eater?

Down by the bay!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Even Peter lol-ed at this!

Jenny said...

Darling!

My second graders loved this song last year! Maybe this year I will have them each make up their own verse and illustrate it and turn it into a class book. Thanks for the fun idea...

ashley said...

the girls at camp love this song.