Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Telling Time

One thing I am not good at is telling time on an analog clock.

I never learned to do it properly, and I used to shrink in fear in school that someone would ask me and I wouldn't know. I remember the day we learned to say the time in French when I was in seventh grade--I sat there staring at the clock, terrified that Mr. Gregoire would call on me.

I am better at it now, but it still takes me a few seconds to figure out. And I still get it wrong.

For example, yesterday at Costco I dropped off a printer cartridge to be refilled at the photo desk.

The clerk told me it would be ready in an hour.

I looked at the clock on the wall.

Me: So it will be ready at 2:10?

Clerk, speaking slowly: No. 2:10 is in 20 minutes.

Me, staring desperately at the clock: Oh. Of course. Duh. 2:50!

Clerk: Yeah.

I felt pretty dumb.


1 comment:

Jenny said...

Telling time is hard for lots of people. I can do it now (thank goodness...since I have to teach it to second graders!), but I can remember feeling that same fear in elementary and junior high. That and telling left and right apart, for some reason. I dread teaching time every year....it doesn't seem like it should be that hard, and for some kids, it really isn't. But for others, they just never seem to get it and due to my own struggle with it, I just feel inadequate at teaching it.