Thursday, July 17, 2008

I'm Stuck

Victor has a new way of resisting commands. He makes a great show of trying to obey, and then pronounces, "I'm stuck." Or, "I can't reach it." Or, "It's too hard."

Mom: "Victor, close the door to Mama's bedroom."

Victor [putting one foot in the way of the door and then closing it as far as it will go]: "Can't Mama. Can't. My foot's stuck."

Another favorite is:

Mom: "Victor, come here please."

Victor [lying on the ground]: "I'm stuck. I'm stuck."

I didn't think two year olds could do this sort of thing yet. It's kind of funny, but I never laugh at him. I don't want to encourage a behavior that will no longer be charming when he's five.

2 comments:

Joan said...

Look! I found you! Aren't you so proud?
I had to laugh at this... we went through the same thing at about this age. Oh wait, we're still going through it. It surprised me, too, that such a young child could have an excuse for not doing what his or her parents ask! The key is not to laugh! You're right! I guess it won't be too hard to resist laughing in a few months because this, like so much in parenting, WILL get old fast! ;)

Jenny said...

Ella does something kind of similar... this just started about 2 weeks ago. When we tell her to do something and she doesn't want to, she says, "I'm trying." Examples: Ella, put your shoes on. "I'm trying." Shoes are not even in her hands, let alone on her feet.

Sometimes she is legitimately trying, but most of the time she uses it as a stall tactic.