Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Triple Coupon Date

Jeremy being home in the afternoon is a boon for my errand-running. Once the boys are asleep, I can get in my car and travel to such interesting places as Wal-mart.

Yesterday, I went to the county courthouse to ask to be excused from jury service on account of my family responsibilities. It was too bad, but what on earth would I do with Victor and Zeke if the trial took more than three hours? I took Victor on this little trip as living proof of my prior commitments.

Today, Victor was not inclined to take his nap, so I decided to take him to the grocery store to buy Gatorade and bananas for Jeremy. Jeremy is still totally sick. It's amazing.

When we arrived at the store, a "special trip with Mom," according to Victor, we saw a sign announcing Triple Coupon Days. Coincidentally, I had some freshly clipped coupons in my bag. We pulled them out and went to town.

Frosted Mini-Wheats? With the buy-one-get-one free and the $1.00 off each box coupon in the aisle, I got 6 boxes for less than $1.00 each. Now tell me that's not a great deal. Wait. That wasn't a triple coupon. But I had some, and I "saved" $79 with them, and $58 with my VIC card. Awesome.

But the most awesome thing about the trip was making three new friends: a man and his two tiny marsupials he was wearing in a zippered cloth pouch around his neck. They had four legs and long tails and each one had a stripe down its back, like a chipmunk, only they were brown and white and black instead of reddish-brown. Victor pet them, and was both enchanted and baffled.

So that was our triple coupon date. We got lots of $$$ off our grocery bill and pet the world's smallest marsupial. And it all happened because Jeremy was sick. Poor Jeremy.

3 comments:

StevenKatie said...

Good shopping Cyndie!

Jana said...

Cyndie,you make me laugh. Well done on your mega grocery discounts and I love the detail about the world's smallest marsupial. That would for sure be something to talk about in our house. Hope Jeremy gets better soon.

Carrie said...

Oh man. I love a good deal at the grocery store. Harris Teeter used to treat me right. We don't even get double coupons here. Triple coupons is pretty much blowing my mind right now.