Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Anniversary

Today is my oldest niece's birthday. Happy First, Vea!

Today is also the 10th anniversary of the day I came home from my mission. That was a strange, great day.

I remember getting on the airplane and feeling like I'd stepped out of an alternate reality into the present day again. I remember looking at myself in the airplane bathroom mirror and feeling desperate because my skin was hammered and my hair was something else. I remember looking down at the Amazon as we flew away. I remember feeling excited.

Everything I had smelled funny. I had very little luggage. I was startled to see the redesigned VW Beetle in a magazine and that PriceWaterhouse had become PriceWaterhouseCooper.

Our group ate Whoppers in Miami, and they were delicious. We stepped outside during our layover to stand on some North American asphalt.

We had to run across the Dallas airport twice because our gate changed.

It was snowing when we landed in Utah. Snowing! My mom had brought me a coat to go with my lavender sundress that Grandma had made me and my sandals.

When I got home, the carpet and drywall and ceilings made my ears hurt because the sound was so deadened. The hot water in the shower and the high water pressure were alarming. My family thought everything I had smelled funny. They kept looking at me like I was crazy.

I slept in a bed that night, with pajamas and sheets.

The next morning, I was alone for a few hours. That was glorious. I poured myself some Cheerios and started picking through them looking for ants. Then it occurred to me that there would be no ants in my cereal.

I got my hair cut. I got released.

My parents washed everything I had brought home in hot hot water, and my mom admired how sparkly white my whites were. Hand washing is very effective, I told them.

My grandma bought me some delicious whole milk to drink, and my mom made me tacos and chicken squares. Kristy came over and we sat in the big chair together and watched the X-Files movie.

In the next week, I drove myself the 15 minutes to Provo, learned that the car radio would go off once I opened the driver's side door, reclaimed ZimZim from Katie, and figured out how to answer my parents' new phone. I signed up for spring term and got an apartment at the Promenade with my friend Liz (recently returned from Portugal).

Three months later, I met Jeremy. And that's another story.

8 comments:

Suzanne Lineberry said...

Thanks for sharing! So tell me how you really felt about coming home..lol

Liz said...

I love that you still remember all those details. I try to remember those little details from time to time because I don't want to forget. I could argue that coming home was one of the worst things that has happened to me. I could also argue that coming home was the best thing that has happened to me.

Cyndie said...

How on earth was it the worst thing that happened to you?

Liz said...

I LOVED every second of my mission. Coming home meant I had to be cute again and it was the last thing I'd been thinking about for the past 18 months. It meant having to buy new clothes. It meant having to play "the game" again. It meant having responsibilities again. Being a missionary was so easy. It was hard work, but knowing that it was essential made it easy to do every day. Going to school was much harder for me to force myself to do than missionary work was. Don't get me wrong, I was anxious to come home and take a nap, but I being home is much harder than being a missionary for me.

StevenKatie said...

Yeah, Liz...how was it the worst?!?!?

Cyndie. Happy 10 yr. Crazy. You are old. I wish I remembered that much about coming home.

Jana said...

I loved this post. I have heard just small snippets from your mission before and you had some tremendous stories. I love that you remember all those details about adjusting back to the home and the US. And really, you had to pick ants out of your cereal?

elizabeth said...

I was thinking about the Promenade a while back...but I had forgotten the name. You have a very good memory. Mine is thrashed, which I blame on kids and thyroid (good excuses, huh?)

The Suprans said...

wow, Cyndie, that's such a unique experience. I'd love to hear more about your experience on your mission!

xoxo
Cathy