Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Amish Friendship Bread

About three weeks ago, my neighbor gave me some Amish Friendship Bread, a starter, and a sheet of instructions. I haven't done it in years, and it's delicious, so I gladly accepted the gift.

The instructions say that only the Amish know the secret to the starter, but I have my doubts that it's really Amish. First, the starter comes in a Ziploc bag. Do the Amish use Ziploc? Second, the recipe calls for vanilla instant pudding mix. I don't associate instant pudding mix with the Amish.

Maybe I'm uninformed about where the Amish shop and what they buy, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see Ziploc or instant pudding in the Amish store I visited three years ago.

If you get a starter but you don't want to do the whole "pass along the love" thing, you can make the bread directly from your starter without adding any thing on day six or adding and dividing the starter on baking day. Also, if you find yourself with lots of starters, and are bored of friendship bread, you can make a bundt cake instead. It's really delicious.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Yum! I wish I could get that starter from you. Either that or I should find some Amish people here in Utah and get some from them.