Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Five Foot Nine

According to Harvard, I am at increased risk of cancer because I am tall.

I quote:




Being tall may raise your risk of colon cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer and pancreatic cancer. Scientists aren’t sure why. One reason may be that tall people have more cells in their bodies, which increases the number of cells that could become cancerous. Another reason may be that tall people grow faster as children. Faster growth is linked to changes in the genetic structure (DNA) of the body’s cells, eventually causing them to become cancerous.



Being tall also increased my chance of being a good basketball or volleyball player, but that sure didn't happen.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Yah, but consider the source, I mean, what do they know!?

Melanie said...

Oh great. I'm also 5'9".

Just one more thing to worry about. :)

Carrie said...

I have seen you play basketball. It was excellent.
I don't even want to comment on the height thing.

Carrie said...

Oh, my sister just told me that being tall also increases your chance of having fraternal twins. So, now you have that to look forward to as well.