Saturday, June 27, 2009

Zeke's Surgery

Yesterday was Zeke's hydrocele surgery. He did very well. The surgery was a success. But things did not go so well in the recovery room.

Poor Zeke was inconsolable. He arched and twisted and cried and screamed. Jeremy and I tried to comfort him. But Zeke had an IV in his hand, and I have had a number of bad IV experiences lately. When I saw blood in the IV, I might have thrown Zeke at Jeremy and rushed out of the room to faint/throw up. A nurse found me and put me in the recovery room next to Zeke with a warm blanket and a ginger ale.

While I was out, the nurse tried to clear Zeke's IV of blood. The re-taping was obviously insufficient because Zeke ripped the IV clean out. All I could hear was Jeremy saying, "Oh. Help. I'm really sorry," and the nurses saying, "oh dear--let's clean this up." Apparently, there was blood and IV fluid squirting everywhere.

I'm not sorry I missed that part.

I eventually came back in the room, but Zeke would not be comforted. Nor would he drink his juice (I don't think he really knows what it is) or eat the popsicle. Who gives an 18-month-old a grape popsicle? What a mess. And let me tell you how mad he was when he bit off a chunk and it froze his poor little mouth.

We finally gave up and went home, where Zeke could be mad and inconsolable in his own bed. It took about two minutes for him to give up and go to sleep.

He's fine now. He woke up hours later and ate and ate and ate and ate. Today he seems to feel better than he has for weeks. So I guess that's a happy ending.

At least, I hope that was the ending.

8 comments:

Katrina said...

kids are usually crabby after being under anesthesia. You survived. Blood and IVs are mostly water. No worries, it's over! Hooray!

Jenny said...

Ella has been inconsolable after having anesthesia both times. As Katrina said, that's normal. And after her open heart surgery, I nearly passed out when I saw the chest tube. I'm terrible at hospitals--I just don't do blood. Never have been able to. I'm glad Zeke is okay and that he is home now and that the surgery went well. Sorry that the recovery was less than ideal, but I think the nurses are used to that. I'm glad they took care of you too!

ashley said...

when our jacob had his tonsils and adenoids out, i saw the blood in his IV and had to leave. i thought i could handle that stuff...apparently not.

Jana said...

This is getting ridiculous. Enough medical drama for you all. Glad everyone got through it.

Carrie said...

I second Jana's thoughts. But can I say I teared up thinking of you under a warm blanket with a ginger ale. I love feeling taken care of, and I hope that is how you felt at a totally crappy time. I am glad there is a happy ending.

elizabeth said...

Aaron had a similar surgery when he was 18 months....and we had a similar experience...he would NOT eat the popsicle or drink ANYTHING and they would not let us leave until he did. I kept telling them to try milk, but they wouldn't let me give him any because it would irritate his stomach.

4 hours after we were to be gone, the nurses gave up let him have a sippy of milk which he downed in 5 minutes and then we could go home....and I think I cried the whole time.

StevenKatie said...

Alex wouldn't drink or eat a popsicle after he had his surgery either. Their experiences seemed very similar excluding the IV issues.

Unknown said...

Poor little guy...