Wednesday, August 5, 2009

CA 125

CA 125 is a cancer marker that can be detected in a person's blood. It can also be elevated due to normal ovarian function or recent surgery. It doesn't tell you much unless you can verify the presence of a cancer and get a baseline, but once you have a baseline it is a very good way to monitor a cancer patient for progress or remission.

In my case, the baseline is 70 (which is not even in the obvious danger zone) and the goal is 30. The measurement was done before my first surgery.

I am pleased to report that my CA 125 level is now 16.9, clearly below our target of 30. This doesn't get me off the hook for the other half of my chemo, but it's encouraging all the same.

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Yeah! That is good news. I'm so glad, Cyndie.

Cathy said...

That is wonderful news!!

Melanie said...

Wonderful news! I'm so sorry that doesn't mean you get out of the rest of the chemo, but at least you know it's working!

ashley said...

great news!

Rebecca said...

I have been thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. I am so glad to hear the fabulous news!

elizabeth said...

YEAH!!! I always hear them talk about my baseline but I never even thought to ask the number....I guess that I should ask, huh...

Katrina said...

Yaaaaaay! We put your name in the Draper temple roll (angels in new temples are the ones who pay attention best!).

Not to pry, but to understand - how did you find that you had this in the first place? Most people only catch it when it's too late.

We are SO relieved that you are doing well, and Matthew, and Adam and all the Duke alum send their best!

Unknown said...

Such good news! Yeah!!!!!!

Carrie said...

GREAT news!! I am so happy!