Thursday, February 4, 2010

CLE

February is the exciting month when I attend many hours of continuing legal education.

Today I learned that in this state, even if a motion in limine (which happens before trial) has determined whether certain evidence will or will not be allowed at trial, the objecting attorney must STILL object at trial and state her grounds if she wants to preserve the issue on appeal. If evidence has been excluded per a motion in limine, the attorney must still attempt to present it at trial.

Crazy. But that's what you hire a lawyer instead of going to trial by yourself.

The best thing about this CLE was attending with Jeremy. I'm flying solo for the next two days, so it was a real treat to go together.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That seems strange to me. I'll be sure to hire a lawyer if I ever need one...I wouldn't want to have negative consequences just because I didn't know what I was doing.

Glad you got to go with Jeremy today. Sounds like a good day.