Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentines, part 3

Victor's preschool class held its Valentine's Day party today. I was a little nervous because Victor spent most of yesterday afternoon telling me, with a very sad face, that he did not want any valentines. But he very cheerfully decorated his valentines for his classmates.

We ended up sending in Pixar-character Valentines and M&Ms. I am grateful for the candy recommendation, because all of the other students sent candy, too. One boy sent candy AND a valentine AND a pencil. Two girls wrote their own names. Most impressive to me was the pipe cleaner heart attaching one valentine to its accompanying candy.

Thank you, Valentine's Day Advisers, for protecting Victor's coolness. But do you think at least one other mom would have felt liberated if I had sent a candy-less valentine? I could have started a trend!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Cyndie,
Obviously, I work in a poor neighborhood, but I honestly believe no matter where you live that you should do what you feel best about. I have kids who bring Valentines, treats, gifts, and candy. Some bring nothing. But everyone has fun, and ultimately most of the Valentines get thrown out, most of the candy is eaten without the kids even knowing who gave it to them and so on. The memories last but not what was actually given. Some years I send treats and gifts with my kids and some years they are lucky to have Valentines. Either way, they are happy to have had a party and a fun time with friends. So yes, probably some mom would have felt liberated if you hadn't sent treats...and the kids probably wouldn't have even noticed. And the teacher certainly wouldn't...

Glad that Victor had a great day.

Cathy said...

Last year Joe gave out handmade Valentines and no candy - apparently the most uncool thing he could have brought. But, that's what he wanted to do, and it didn't bother him at all. This year we gave treats and cartoon valentines. Big fan of last year. I would have definitely felt liberated if all the moms collectively decided that paper Valentines were enough. A lot less exciting though.