Thursday, May 13, 2010

My Birthday Cake

My birthday was on Tuesday. As I spent this one having fun instead of visiting the oncologist for the first time, it was a much better day than last year. Much better.

In fact, it was downright fun. I went to my mother's group in the morning and shocked myself by allowing a stranger to cut my hair. For free. And it's super cute. Wow. Then I had a delightful lunch, spent all afternoon on the phone with an assortment of family members, and went to a movie with Jeremy. (Iron Man. High marks.)

One of the highlights was the surprise cake that Jeremy had made for me. He knows that my family does home-made cakes, which are high on every mark but one: no frosting roses. The bakery cake he ordered for me was especially girly: pink lemonade cake with light yellow frosting, white piping, and a tasteful sprinkling of light pink roses.

And written on the top (in light green): Thanks for Not Dying!

He had to explain the caption to the bakery lady. He asked if it was in bad taste. "I don't know, Sir," she said. Since this is the south, who knows how strongly that translates. But "No Dying" is Rule #2 of being married for us. So I understood what he meant.

This year's cake is now one of my Favorite Cakes Ever, joining the Strawberry Shortcake cake my mom made when I was about 5 and the Barbie-in-a-cake-like-a-skirt cake my grandma made when I was about 8 (which was also pink).

7 comments:

Jenny said...

So glad you had a great birthday!!! And especially glad that you are healthy and there were no doctor visits this year. Sure love ya!

Liz said...

Wait. Jeremy's family didn't have homemade cakes? One time I had a store bought cake. We were in Montpelier, and I think I was about 8. I remember feeling like no one cared about my birthday enough to make me a cake. It was white with yellow frosting roses. Very sad.

Katrina said...

HAHHAHAHAA! Ohh maaan. Cake shenanigans is all a part of my family. For Easter Family Dinner, my big brother got a cake and had them write, "Welcome Back Jesus!" because that is what Easter is all about.

My lil sis's b-day is Dec 24, so she gets "Happy Birthday Reagan AND JESUS!" written on her cake too. Makes many a baker stare. :D So, YES! Hooray for not dying, I think that's awesome!!!

Unknown said...

Pink Lemonade cake has to be from Maxie B's. Yum and fabulous! I would have laughed if I was the baker and sent along the message that I too was glad you were still with us. xo

Wendy said...

Sounds like a perfect birthday. I think "Thanks for not dying!" is the perfect sentiment, couldn't have said it better myself!

gleehorse said...

Way too funny! :)

Carrie said...

The fact that he asked if it was bad taste is hilarious. You guys are great. I have a question. What is rule #1?