Friday, August 6, 2010

Brave Mom

Even though I'm fun now, I don't really care for activities that involve being hot or in a crowd, which is why I felt very brave as we drove to our local shopping center this morning to purchase shoes for Victor during the tax-free weekend.

It was kind of like exercise at the gym, and I should have worn my sneakers.

Victor didn't really understand the "walk for me" part of shoe shopping, so instead of just walking six feet and then walking back, he half-danced, half-shuffled, making it impossible to determine if the shoes were slipping on his heels. This left him as the sole arbiter of whether the shoes fit. In the end, he declared that all of the shoes except the size 13.5 light-up Sketchers were simultaneously too tight and too big. So now I'm a mom who buys trendy shoes for her preschooler.

Then we went to buy some jeans. This led to our first encounter with a dressing room, and it was an unmitigated disaster. Wait! It was not an unmitigated disaster because somehow several pairs of jeans were tried. Since some were discarded and some selected based on fit, I'll just call it a tearful and sweaty experience.

Other highlights of the trip included testing the light-up sneakers in a bathroom, crying under a clothes rack, banging an elbow, and apologizing to a very understanding lady.

Zeke quietly enjoyed the shopping trip from the Maclaren.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are Brave! Shoe shopping gets worse and worse as my kids get older unfortunately.

ashley said...

i feel your pain.