Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Non-contentious Hostessing

Carrie has a question!

Question: I am not someone who enjoys heated political conversations, particularly when they are started in my home by someone who is not part of my household. This is partly because I lack interest, but more importantly because I don't enjoy the feeling of contention it brings.

How can I ask this person to stop bringing up politics, or at least keep them friendly, without offending him/her or making him/her feel unwelcome?

Answer: I sense that you would like a non-confrontational approach to this problem. Three ideas come to mind.

1. Don't go there.

As hostess, you can steer conversation away from political topics. For example, even if you have a non-political comment, do not mention the EPA, Sarah Palin, or high-speed rail.

If you hear someone else mention such a topic, jump in with a segue, i.e. "Did you ever hear about Greg's trip on a Soviet train? It was so interesting." and then turn to Greg expectantly.

2. The sudden interruption that you simply cannot contain.

Let's say Guest starts down a contentious path. You might say, "OH! I just remembered! Before I forget I have to ask you . . . ." and then ask about a totally different topic within the person's expertise.

You could also call away his conversation partner to do something that only he or she can do. Jake might be required to open a jar of pickles, for example. Be sure to act embarrassed that you are interrupting.

3. Look politely blank. Say, "Oh." And then change the subject.

Depending on your relationship with this person and this person's personality, there is a fourth option.

4. Disagree blandly. "Really? I don't think so." Or, "Really? I read [the opposite]." Then shrug and change the subject. You can only do this if you appear calm, slightly bored, and well informed. It will not work if the person is intent on evangelizing. 

Happy hostessing!

2 comments:

Torrie and Cassidy said...

I have enjoyed reading all of your answers, so when I had a bit of a dilemma, I immediately knew who I would turn to. Here is my question. If someone writes you a thank you note and sends a gift for the kids in response to something nice you did for that individual, is it then expected that I write a thank you note back for the gift? It's like writing a thank you note for writing a thank you note. It could be a never ending cycle!

Carrie said...

Thank you! I love all your ideas and plan on putting them to use. I really like the pickle idea! ;)