Monday, February 7, 2011

Wendy's Tricky Question

Dear SwindleFun,

How would you approach an oven that needs to be cleaned last year and has recently experience an exploding potato. (Yes, I know you are supposed to poke holes in them. I was in open rebellion and paid for it.)

Dear Potato Lover,

The first thing I would do is consult the Good Housekeeping website. It recommends that you use any commercial oven cleaner as directed on the can. It also recommends that you soak your racks in a solution of ammonia and water.

Does this work? Never fear. I tried it for you.

Except for the ammonia part, because I didn't have any. I used S.O.S. pads instead. They did the job, but next time I'm going to try ammonia in the tub.

I used Easy Off oven cleaner as directed by the can, but I was not amazed with the results. My oven wasn't even that dirty. S.O.S. pads took off most of what the Easy Off left behind.

In light of my Easy Off experiment, I recommend:

1. Knock loose any charred bits with a dry rag.

2. Vacuum up any loose charred bits with your hose attachment.

3. Use the oven cleaner as directed on the can. (Spray. Wait. Wipe, wipe, wipe.) Don't spray the ceiling of the oven if it's not dirty--it's a real pain to clean around the broiler element.

4. If you have some spots left, use an S.O.S. pad on them or follow the can's directions for spot cleaning.

5. Wipe, wipe, wipe.

Happy cleaning!

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Or: put your all clad aluminum stuff in the oven. Hit the "auto clean" button. After a day or so (assuming you are not using your oven that much anyway O baked potato rebels) pull it all out. Try to remember to wipe it out, or think to yourself after a couple of months, "Ech - I'll just hit the self clean option again and clean it out then...."

Saves on fumes, fuming, and a lot of wiping.

Cyndie said...

Yes! For the self-cleaning-oven-endowed, this is indeed the easiest option.

Wendy said...

Cyndie, you are fabulous! I love that you tried it yourself first. Want to come over for some baked potatoes? :)