Thursday, February 17, 2011

Puzzles

Zeke likes to do jigsaw puzzles. In this way, he takes after his mother.

He has some medium-sized puzzles that he does on his own. But when he does his 100 piece elephant puzzle, he likes me to help.

I have not figured out how he decides if two pieces fit together, but I think it's based on shape. Unless that shape is a straight edge, the function of which he does not seem to appreciate.

Usually, my job is to mete out the pieces in manageable groups and to say "try another spot" or "turn it around." But today I tried to hasten the puzzle process by explaining about edges and matching colors and finding parts of the elephants among the pieces.

I discovered that my explanations had no effect on Zeke's performance or the time in which he completed the puzzle.

No comments: