Friday, April 8, 2011

Victor is Perplexed

Have you ever been so perplexed by something that you were unable to formulate a reply, let alone an objection?

Victor felt that way this morning. He got up, came into the living room and turned on the TV.

Then I got up, came into the living room and turned off the TV.

"Victor," I said. "It's time for sleep. Go back to bed."

Victor got up, looked at me, looked out the front window, gestured wordlessly at the daylight, and went back to his room.

I hadn't noticed the daylight. Why was it so light outside when it wasn't time to get up?

On the way to preschool he asked, "Why, how is it time to sleep when it is already light outside?"

I could not answer him.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

David is still perplexed that we eat dinner in the daytime now. He insists that "dinner" must be "lunch" because you eat lunch when the sun is out and dinner when the sun has set. This is why he now asks me at 7:30 when we're going to eat dinner. He doesn't believe me when I tell him that we already did over an hour ago. He says that was lunch.

Oh that darn tilted axis on this earth of ours. And Daylight Savings certainly doesn't lessen the confusion.