Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Jam Fun

Today, we went strawberry picking.

Because it's fun. And because we ran out of last year's freezer jam about two months ago.

An old timer named Theo showed us that the sweetest berries are those whose bottoms are gathered and just a little bit white. He also picked at least 1/4 of our berries, and the best ones, at that.

This afternoon, I made jam. Lots of jam.

I prefer the Ball instant pectin because (1) there is no cooking involved, just stirring; and (2) there is significantly less sugar but the same delicious taste.

2 comments:

Katydid said...

I need to learn how to make jam ... I just found out that there are wild blackberry bushes growing behind my apartment! But, alas, I have no useful homemaking skills.

Carrie said...

Oh man. I wish I had read this prior to making a triple batch of jam. I used both the yellow and pink boxes, to see which is better. To my surprise, I prefer the lower sugar pink box. Next time I will try the Ball brand for sure.