Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Storm Drain Fun

Yesterday, I replaced the batteries in the boys' remote control vehicles.

After exploring the limits of indoor fun, the boys took the vehicles outside. I figured it would be okay to run them on the front walk, so I instructed them to stay there and not go in the street.

Two minutes later, Victor came in to report that Zeke's truck was down the storm drain.

After consulting our neighbor, Bob, I discovered that the tool I needed to pry off the manhole cover is called a mattock. It's a curved blade, pointed on one end and flat on the other, at the end of an axe handle.

Lucky for me, my friend Michelle owns a mattock (with which she removes manhole covers on her cul-de-sac) and was happy to lend it to me.







So I pried up the manhole cover (Bob was impressed) and sent Victor down the rungs to retrieve Zeke's truck. 
He was very brave, and didn't mind the spiders at all. 

1 comment:

le said...

Wahoo for yours and Victor's valor. I could have never been so self-sufficient.