Friday, July 22, 2011

A Loss

After chemo, some people experience the loss of a certain flavor. A friend of mine lost chocolate.

I lost peanut butter.

It was not immediate. But one day I ate a bit of peanut butter and tasted nothing but oil. I can still get a faint smell of peanuts, but that delicious nutty flavor is gone.

It's not a bad flavor to lose. What if I had lost steak? Or zucchini? Or french silk pie?

So far, there have been two main inconveniences.

1. My go-to on-the-road breakfast of a pb&j sandwich is no longer an option.


2. When we got Reese's Pieces at the movies this week, I couldn't taste them.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm sorry... that's a bummer...it certainly could be worse (I'd hate to lose chocolate!!)...But I'd rather lose zuchini than peanut butter. :) Cyndie, sure do love you and am so glad that you are okay. I appreciate that you shared your ordeal with us...I think of you often and feel so grateful for my health and so grateful that you've recovered.

Katrina said...

It's a small loss if it means we get to enjoy you for ever and a day! Europeans don't do peanut butter, and in reality it is rather Jimmy Carter low brow. What an excellent opportunity to get a loaf of French bread and chevre de pais! Some smoked ham too if you want to be fancy. And a bottle of wine if it's just that kinda day with the kids on your last nerve...

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

I would hate to lose chocolate, but PB is a sad thing also--so sorry!