Thursday, February 9, 2012

SwindleFun Solves Problems That Are Probably Already Solved

Cataloging the Chaos is working on a super-fun home project.

She asked the following questions about her kitchen a couple of weeks ago, and although she has probably solved her problems already, I simply must throw in my two cents. Because that's what I do.

Question 1: Clutter always accumulates on the counters. I have baskets, but the baskets overflow. I suppose not being lazy would help this one.


Answer 1: You are right! The only solution to clutter is to get rid of it. Using baskets as a way station for temporarily necessary things (like current bills and paperwork that needs to be dealt with) only works if you clean them out frequently.


Question 2: Clutter always accumulates on the fridge.

Answer 2:  Clean it off once a week. Put away things that have a place and toss everything else.

(If you are struggling with children who want to display lots of things, I have an idea we can discuss later. Because I know you want my ideas!)


Question 3: What to do with the plastic grocery bags.


Answer 3: Scrunch them up and put them in a single bag whose handle you tie to the wire shelf in the corner of your pantry. 


Question 4: My plastic containers are always always a big fat mess.


Answer 4: First, toss everything that is gross, broken, or missing a lid. Next, stack all of the same size and kind together. Put lids near them in a rarely-used baking dish (I use a Pyrex bread pan) that is heavy enough not to tip over all the time. Put tall lids in back and short lids in front.

When you need new plastic containers (which happens every couple of years), get a set that uses the same lid for several sizes of container. Or a set that is all the same size. Then simply stack the lids next to or underneath the containers.


Question 5: I need some way to hide the faucet. It is just bare, and it faces the living room. I want to mask it some way and make that space beautiful instead of bare. It gets wet quite frequently while doing dishes, washing mud off of little feet, conducting science experiments without mom's permission, etc., so baskets or anything like that are out. Any ideas?

Answer 5: Yes! Just keep it clean and shiny. It's much easier than managing additional stuff on the counter.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Thanks, Cyndie! Your two cents are ALWAYS appreciated! And I'm embarassed to report that it is still timely. Thanks.