Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Scripture Study

On Sunday, I taught a Relief Society lesson about Envy, Jealousy, and Covetousness. I was inspired by item 9 of George Albert Smith's personal creed:

"I would overcome the tendency to selfishness and jealousy and rejoice in the successes of all the children of my Heavenly Father."

If you are interested in doing a little topical study, you might consider this topic. The topical guide entries on Envy and Covet are very useful (envy is all over the scriptures), as are Pres. Benson's 1989 gospel classic "Beware of Pride," Elder Holland's memorable 2002 talk, "The Other Prodigal," and the Golden Ticket section of Pres. Uchtdorf's "Forget-Me-Not" talk at the October 2011 General RS Meeting.

A few things to note:

--Envy and Covetousness are all about comparing yourself to others

--There are scriptural admonitions about covetousness to the rich (e.g. D&C 19:36) and the poor (e.g. D&C 56:17)

--When you put on your envy goggles or let envy cloud your life, you don't see things clearly

--Luke 12:13–15. "And one of the company said unto him, 'Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me.' And he said unto him, 'Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you?' And he said unto them, 'Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.'"

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Such an important subject! And such an easy trap to fall into...at least for me. I think that a lot of it comes from not feeling totally confident in my own choices...so thereby I feel a need to compare myself...and then either beat myself up or pat myself on the back. I'm working on it...but it can be hard. I know that sometimes I have these thoughts or feelings without really even being aware of them.