Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day 2 of Creativity

For my creativity point yesterday, I spend a good deal of time at the piano. Since I had to accompany the choir last night, and I needed to learn the piece, it was multitasking at its best: work that is fun.

Victor is learning about Mozart in school right now. Mozart is my favorite composer to play on the piano, so I played a little for him. And I let him listen to the overture to The Marriage of Figaro at the table. It was a little peppy for dinner, but very enjoyable.

He is also learning about the various families of instruments. So about two weeks ago, at his request, I got out my french horn to play for him and Zeke.

I hadn't played it in years. The valves were sluggish. I have no chops. But my fingers remembered the scales, and I felt like a piece of my soul had been returned to me. That might sound dramatic, but I spent a LOT of time with that horn in my high school and college years, and I loved playing it, especially when I transitioned from band to orchestra in college.

Music--piano, horn, singing--went missing from my life during law school and law practice, but it started to pick up again after Victor was born. I had to re-learn piano after chemo and its accompanying neuropathy. But now I play for enjoyment, and I play for the choir sometimes, and I accompany soloists at church.

My playing is even improving! I get less nervous, and I can learn pieces faster. I still don't play as well as I used to, but what I do play is enjoyable and useful.

I would like to play in an orchestra again, but the only one I know of is at a local church, and they perform every Sunday morning. That's a no go. But maybe I'll find something once Zeke is in school.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I absolutely know what you mean about a piece of your soul being missing. That is so fun to pull out old talents. Especially to share them with your children. Yay music!

Unknown said...

Wow! C you are a woman of hidden talents in edition to all of your others.

Unknown said...

Wow! C you are a woman of hidden talents in edition to all of your others.

Unknown said...

Wow! C you are a woman of hidden talents in edition to all of your others.