Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Not So Free

Yesterday we had a very expensive outing . . . to the public library. Victor had, um, removed six pages from a book about trains, and since it couldn't be mended, we had to buy the book. I had him tell the librarian what he had done and apologize.

The librarian was very nice, but the book was still $16.50.

Then it turns out that DVDs are only 7-day items, not 21-day like I had thought. So that was another $10.00. The librarian said I'd have to talk to the branch manager about getting it reduced.

They say freedom isn't free, and now I know it's true.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I went to the library with my young women a few weeks ago and got my first library card since New Hampshire! Remember those pink cards with the little metal strip in the little manila envelopes? I was hoping to get something like that, but it's this lame plastic thing.

I've already used it several times. I feel like a little kid when I wonder around the library.

Rachel said...

ohh, I can no longer check out books in Alexandria, VA because I refuse to pay a nearly $30 fine on a 100 year old $3 paperback copy of "To Kill a Mockingbird" - I offered to pay the cost of the book rather than the fine but they said I had to pay the fine. So I moved to Arlington, VA and got a new library card...