Friday, March 26, 2010

Awesome Mothering

I don't think I'm a terribly fun person if you mean spontaneous, do-new-things fun. But my mom says I should try to be a fun mom, so I'm giving it a whirl.

Yesterday, after we dropped Grandma at the far-away airport (sad), we drove to the temple. Going there seemed like a good idea despite my general rule that one must travel home from a far-away destination as quickly as possible. The only people there were groundskeepers, so I didn't feel like we were disturbing anyone. Victor was very interested to know if the temple is hard or soft. We decided the walls were hard. He insisted that the (unseen) carpet was very soft. He wanted to know what Angel Moroni was doing, and who he was warning.

Today we went to Jump N Fun, which is a large cinder block room full of blow-up slides and jumping pens like you see at carnivals. Going there broke my general policy of avoiding loud, hot, crowded, or smelly places. Turns out that the owners put a limit on the number of patrons, and the smell was not too bad, so I was able to enjoy the intense vertigo induced by going down/around/in/up/out the bouncy palaces.

Yesterday I beat Victor in Candyland and taught him about sportsmanship.

Today, we colored with Crayons.

Next week, I intend to take the children to the zoo. (See above prohibitions on long car rides, heat, noise, smell, crowds.)

Fun, here we come!

3 comments:

Alisa said...

Any mom who will suffer through Candyland is AWESOME indeed!

Jenny said...

Good for you! Your kids will remember this and you are teaching them so many things from these activities.

Interestingly, we had family math night at my school last night. We were talking about it today and several teachers were saying that they wished that parents realized that you don't have to have formal "math" games to teach math concepts... most board games and many other activities practice math skills. Anyway, your post reminded me of that conversation. You are teaching lots of things (and your kids are having fun!) as you do these things.

Katrina said...

I am learning to be an awful mom. I made "Ale House Burgers" a la "Sandra Lee's Money Saving Meals." The Budweiser can looks so much like a Coke can, and the 1 yr old was rather quick. Three huge gulps later, he had a weird look on his face - and was happy the whole rest of the night!

So. yeah. You're doing much better than I am....