Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Triumph

For at least the last year I have been teaching Zeke how to ask politely for things at the table.

Despite my best and most consistent efforts, we were still having this conversation every meal at the table.

Zeke: Milk. Milk! MILK, MOMMY, MILK!!!

Me: How do you ask nicely?

Zeke: Please?

Me: Zeke, say, "Mom,"

Zeke: Mom

Me: "May I"

Zeke: May I

Me: "Please have"

Zeke: Please have

Me: "Some milk."

Zeke: Some milk.

Me: Yes, you may.

Yesterday, however, after having the above conversation one time at dinner, we had the following, triumphant exchange.

Zeke: Chicken. More chicken! MORE CHICKEN!!!

Me: Zeke, how do you ask nicely?

Zeke thinks for a while. Then, as the Brazilians say, "a ficha caiu."

Zeke, with a smile: Mom, may I please have some more chicken?

Me, with a big smile: Yes, yes you may certainly have more chicken you sweet, sweet boy who knows how to ask nicely for more at the table!!!

Like I said, a triumph! And it only took a year.

1 comment:

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

Mommy breakthroughs are so rewarding! Yay Zeke and yay you!