Friday, March 4, 2011

Yesterday's Fun Project

When I was married, Grandma Hammond gave me a revolving spice rack. It sits on my counter, and I refill the jars when they are empty.

However, some of the jars never get empty, because I never use them. Coriander? Marjoram? Celery Salt? Mustard Seed? Crushed Mint? Caraway Seed? Pizza Seasoning? Savory?


So I emptied the eight jars that never get used, washed and dried them, peeled off the labels, and re-labeled the lids with things I use. Cumin. Ginger. Nutmeg. Ground Mustard. Chives. Poppy Seeds. Garlic Powder. Onion Powder.

Also, very old spices in the rack (Dill Weed, Bay Leaves, Rosemary) were dumped out and replaced with fresh ones from the cupboard.

The result: more room in the spice cupboard, easy access to the spices I use, and very clean jars.

(No, I do not use fresh herbs and spices unless I am making certain salads. I killed my first herb garden and never looked back.)

2 comments:

Liz said...

That IS fun!

Carrie said...

Celery salt= DELICIOUS on homemade potato salad.

Way to be proactive with the spice rack.